The Director of Finance amp; Operations (DFO) plays a key role in supporting the Country Manager/Director in managing the country office operations, working across all aspects of the organization’s programs to ensure an effective and functioning framework for staff to implement project activities effectively and efficiently, supporting program directors to have an enabling framework within iDE Ghana to achieve results and mitigate risks.
As part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) it is expected that the DFO will collaborate with all Directors (People amp; Culture Director, Sama SamaMD, MERL Director, etc) to develop creative ways to solve challenges encountered during the daily implementation of project activities, including the primary responsibilities indicated below.
- Reports directly to the Ghana Country Manager/Country Director.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, the DFO works in close collaboration with the Directors from the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Monitoring Evaluation Research amp; Learning, People amp; Culture, and Agricultural Program Teams.
- Direct reports include the Senior Accountant and Procurement amp; Operations Manager. Changes in direct reports are assigned by the Country Manager/Director. The possibility of additional direct reports will also be assigned by the Country Manager/Director.
- Indirect reporting relationships with the Head of Credit amp; Finance (HCF) of all Social Enterprises across WASH and Agriculture portfolios under iDE Ghana. This working relationship is based on
deliverables outlined in periodic work plans and signed off by the Country Manager/Director
and/or the main supervisor of the Head of Credit amp; Finance. The HCF will be expected to report to the DFO on all performance related to the deliverables in the work plan.
- This position also reports indirectly to the iDE HQ Vice President of Finance (VP) in a matrix reporting arrangement.The DFO is required to communicate and collaborate with the Regional Finance leader on a regular basis to ensure achievement of goals. The DFO annual performance review will be completed by the iDE Country Manager/Director with feedback from the iDE HQ VP of Finance.
Finance amp; Accounting
- Oversee all accounting systems, delivering accurate donor financial reports in line with donor guidelines across all iDE Ghana projects.
- Ensure in close cooperation with the Country Manager/Director and VP of Finance, that iDE’s financial policies are clearly communicated and enforced throughout iDE Ghana to ensure the highest possible integrity and policy compliance. This should be demonstrated by consistent achievement of high-quality audit reports.
- Provide the requisite coaching assistance to team members as and when needed toward meeting finance amp; operations timelines and deliverable.
- Conduct periodic internal audit and review of financial amp; internal control systems to identify weaknesses for immediate improvement in compliance with financial standards, donor rules amp; best practices for all iDE Ghana projects and social enterprises.
- Work closely with Social Enterprise Head of Finance (Agric amp; WASH) amp; HQ Finance in yearly write off of irrecoverable debts from default customers.
- Work closely with Social Enterprise MDs (Agric amp; WASH), amp; Department Heads of Credit amp; Finance to set up and manage effective control system on cash collections by Credit Officers from customers and ensuring remittances are made timely basis to the designated organization’s bank account and Mobile Money Merchant, thereby preventing any potential risk of financial misappropriation.
- Develop, plan, and facilitate finance systems transitions across all projects within iDE Ghana and its social enterprises.
Budgeting and Financial Reporting
- Lead Annual Budget preparation of all iDE Ghana programs.
- Monitor project cash flows and expenditure forecasts, and effective management of iDE Ghana unrestricted funds.
- Prepare monthly financial project reports, reviewing the attainment of targets, and assess financial amp; internal control systems, identifying and mitigating issues as well as implementing improvements as needed.
Procurement amp; Logistics
- Ensure effective coordination of country office daily operations and logistics.
- Ensure procurements are undertaken in compliance with budget allocation, laid down policies and guidelines including donor requirements to promote and justify value for money.
- Oversee the management of all office facilities (vehicles, motorbikes, repair works, office rents, working tools, equipment, furniture, etc).
- Provide support in the creation and implementation of iDE Ghana social enterprises, delivering financial and operational support, implementing integrated programming that serves WASH, Agriculture, Nutrition, and all related interventions.
- Ensure filing of annual legal amp; regulatory documents, monitor compliance with relevant legal requirements, amp; facilitate iDE Ghana board of directors functions amp; processes.
- Lead and supervise a range of senior staff, providing consistent mentoring, responding swiftly to issues raised, ensuring they adhere to set timeframes and objectives and providing employee skills development support.
- Provide Business Development Support to the iDE Ghana team.
- Provide technical and performance management support to the Sama Sama Finance team.
- Work with the Country Manager/Director, Program Directors, and the HQ office’s teams to ensure targets are being met for relevant projects by assisting on the development of proposal budgets, work plans, budget vs actual reports, preparation amp; timely submission of annual program budget and other financial reviews as assigned.
- In conjunction with the Pamp;C department craft, review, or revise policies and procedures following the approvals and authority matrix to ensure they remain up to date and in line with local laws, and serve as support and enforcement of management of risk for iDE.
- Lead financial policy alignment and standardization across iDE Ghana.
- Any other duties as assigned by the CM/CD and VP Global Finance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Graduate from a recognized university with a masters degree in Finance, Business Administration or other related field of study.
- Minimum of 6 years practical work experience in an International NGO or Social Enterprise is preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years full time working experience in a senior management role leading:- Business, Finance, Operations amp; Budget Planning, Project Management, and Work Plan Development.
- Experienced in establishing processes that are efficient and adhered to on a daily basis to establish a framework for implementing projects.
- Team Leadership and supervisory skills.
- Experience with donor reporting and managing stakeholders.
- Ability to:
- Transform strategic analysis into effective implementation.
- Problem solve creatively as a team-member as well as a team leader.
- Work collaboratively and possess the ability to thrive in an interdisciplinary team and across all our programs.
- Serve the under resourced and underserved.
ATTRIBUTES WE LOOK FOR
- Collaborative and thrives in a team environment where ideas build on one another.
- Excited by and open to new ideas and new ways of doing things.
- Strong leadership, mentoring, and coaching skills.
- Driven to achieve results and quality oriented.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Emotional intelligence skills.
- Must possess a healthy skepticism i.e. attitude that includes a questioning mind and a critical assessment of the appropriateness and sufficiency of audit evidence.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proactive, curious, responsive, and self driven.
- Superior knowledge of regulations and operational guidelines.
- Extremely detail oriented and organized.
- Able to work under pressure without complaining and maintaining prescribed performance standards.
- Able to work in a multicultural team.
- High level of empathy and patience.
- Demonstrate a high level of honesty and integrity with a strong work ethic.
- Confident, organized, with excellent communication and presentation skills.
- A high level of commitment to iDE’s values and objectives.
- A high sense of responsible approach to all tasks.
- Act as a role model at all times.
- Willingness to take on additional areas of responsibility relevant to the role.