Job Overview Slide Deck
The Country Manager (CM), Ghana is responsible for every aspect of program activities in Ghana, including:
- Achievement of annual revenue, business development, and impact goals
- Financial management and accountability for both iDE Ghana programs and the Sama Sama social enterprise - our social business in Ghana that designs and delivers affordable, sustainable, and exciting solutions for sanitation and hygiene.
- Project accountability to individual donors
- Technical leadership
- Public identity in Ghana for iDE and Sama Sama
- Country program planning, implementation, and performance review
- Staff management and development
- Overall resource generation (fund mobilization) for iDE Ghana programs
This position reports directly to the Global Operations Team, and receives technical and other support from iDE headquarters staff, iDE Canada, and from other Country Managers/Directors and their technical staff. The CM works closely with the iDE offices in Canada and the UK, when funding and program implementation are generated from those offices. As iDE’s representative in-country, the Country Manager has responsibility and accountability for all of iDE’s finances, assets and legal standing in Ghana.
Who we are looking for
At iDE, we are passionate about real change that gives people the power to prosper on their own terms. We are the best in the world at developing inclusive market ecosystems that adapt to grow and benefit everyone. Working with our social enterprises, small businesses, and farmers, we create opportunity through human centered designed projects that keep the needs of our clients at the core.
We are looking for someone who shares iDE’s values, passion and commitment. Our selected Country Manager will have well developed analytical and financial skills; understand how value chains and supply chains operate; and must have a good understanding of rural marketing and how to sell to the ‘base of the pyramid’ to create social impact. Above all, our new Country Manager must know how to lead, motivate, and inspire a team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Link country activities to the overall strategy and performance improvement targets of iDE as a whole through developing country specific strategies and plans.
Raise funds for the implementation of iDE Ghana programs and their expansion by coordinating with international donors and other funding sources. This includes responsibility for:
- Development of funding strategies
- Identification of potential funding sources
- Securing grants
- Cost recovery of appropriate organizational expenses
- Preparation and submission of proposals with coordinated budgets
Day-to-day management of programs including:
- Appointment and supervision of program staff for iDE Ghana and Sama Sama CEO
- Review of existing accomplishments, target achievements, and strategies to date
- Review and support to Sama Sama business operations and sales strategies
- Implementation of effective decision-making systems including internal management, etc.
- overall reporting and communication internally and outside iDE
- Implementation and reporting for all projects
- Responsibility for ensuring that program design is in compliance with iDE’s corporate mission and objectives
- Responsibility for ensuring compliance with donor and iDE rules and regulations on program implementation
- Annual review of the performance service providers and grantees
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Finance and Administration Management
Provide administrative and financial management consistent with iDE organizational policies and procedures in close cooperation with Operations and Finance to the iDE program in Ghana. This includes responsibility for:
- Appointment and supervision of financial staff for iDE Ghana and Sama Sama with support from with the Operations and Finance teams
- Development and maintenance of all administrative and financial controls and systems for all aspects of the Ghana program and Sama Sama
- Responsibility for ensuring that administrative and financial procedures, practices and reporting are effective and in compliance with iDE standards and general accounting and administrative guidelines
- Responsibility for ensuring that all Ghana field offices are run in compliance with established administrative and financial procedures
- Responsibility for ensuring adherence to relevant Ghanian Government regulations concerning operations of not-for-profit organizations in Ghana and for maintaining the good legal standing of iDE in Ghana
Human Resource Management
Consistent with iDE organizational policies and procedures and in close cooperation with Operations and other iDE headquarters staff, develop and manage Human Resource functions for all iDE Ghana and Sama Sama personnel including:
- Preparation of job descriptions
- Identification, funding and hiring of personnel
- Development and implementation of salary and benefit policies and procedures
- Discipline and grievance issues
- Implementation of annual performance reviews for all staff
- Staff induction, professional development and training
- Compliance with Ghana’s labor laws, insurance and tax regulations
Maintain collaborative relationships at all levels of the organization, by:
- Ensuring good communication with iDE headquarters, iDE UK, and iDE Canada, including timely submission of program reports, financial reports, planning documents and reports to donors
- Ensuring good communication with other iDE country programs and committees
- Developing and maintaining excellent working relations with relevant donors, national and regional governments, and NGO, public and private sector representatives
- Participating in collaborative efforts with other NGOs, national and local governments, donors, public and private sector partners, etc.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Frequently required to perform work outside normal work hours
- Frequently required to travel domestically and/or internationally, sometimes in difficult environments
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position
iDE takes pride in our talented and diverse workforce. Minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Hiring, promotion, and compensation of employees are conducted without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
- Degree in Agriculture, Business Management, Marketing, Development or related field or equivalent experience preferred; Master’s degree or higher preferred
- 3 years relevant managerial experience required; 5 years or more preferred;
- Ability to think innovatively and to see where opportunities exist for iDE to use technology (GIS, ICT, etc.) for planning and implementing operations
- Proven experience in supporting social enterprise development and management
- Technical knowledge of WASH, market systems programming, agriculture, or nutrition
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a range of constituencies and lead a strong team in a diverse community
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and to foster a cooperative environment with peers in other iDE offices
- Proven know-how in monitoring and evaluation and adaptive management
- Proven track record of working in multicultural environment
- Proven ability to manage and effectively use financial management information systems
- Strong management and problem-solving skills; effective use of independent judgment
- English business fluency required
- Proficiency in MS Office suite; experience with G Suite preferred
The benefits for this position include medical coverage, retirement contribution, housing allowance, life insurance and paid time off.
The salary range for this position is $50,000 - $80,000 USD annually.